Kevin C. Cox
What I saw from the bleachers...
- Crowd was probably ½ to 2/3 Kentucky fans.
- Kentucky had its band, mascot and cheerleaders. None of those for Duke. Band and crowd made it like a home game for them. Don’t know why Duke had no one there. KU and MSU had mascots and cheerleaders (not sure about bands).
- I talked to one of the "I really hate Laettner" t-shirt guys in the beer line. He was bemoaning the fact that he’s starting to like Laettner, hearing him frequently on sportstalk radio.
- The uselessness of the frequent UK crowd chants of "Go Big Blue" seemed lost on them. Even Tar Holes know better.
- An NCSU friend of mine texted me before the game thanking Duke in advance for getting the Pack into the AP top 5.
- Is Kentucky’s Wiltjer just a pudgy Scott Padgett? My boy Jon was talking about the UK bigs combo of Kid-n-Play and Fat Padgett.
- Aside from bigs fouling out, I think there was some good, tough defense played (outside of getting torched on the pick and roll, which is UK’s only offensive play right now).
- Mason looked awkward and clumsy down low at times, but he was pretty successful at both distributing and scoring from the post.
- Curry’s in-game correction – going from putting up scared shots to using the pump fake to get the shot-blockers up in the air – epitomized the difference in the experience of the two teams.
- Sulaimon looks to be a good slasher to the basket, but needs to hone his finishing skills. Looking forward to watching him develop. Jump shot appears to already be there.